Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Worst Humphrey Bogart Movie Ever Made

When it comes to classic movies, I'm pretty easy to please. I will usually sit through anything but science fiction and horror movies. Much to my dismay, I found myself watching (enduring) the musical-comedy-romance, Swing Your Lady. When considering the cast; Humphrey Bogart, super character actor, Frank McHugh and Penny Singleton, the future wife of Dagwood Bumstead in the Blondie series, I figured this 1938 film might be a little gem. Unfortunately, it didn't even rise to the level of the Ma and Pa Kettle movies of the 1950's.
The plot revolves around a down-on-his-luck fight promoter (Bogart) who ends up staging a wrestling match between a man and a woman. There is a brief surprise when a young Ronald Regan makes an appearance as a sports reporter, but otherwise it is an endurance contest to sit through such hillbilly delights as: "Dig Me a Grave in Missouri", "Mountain Swingaroo", and "The Hillbilly From Tenth Avenue".
The sterling dialogue includes such marvelous exchanges as:
"My, you oughta see all them clothes she's got. Would you believe it...three pairs of shoes!
"Great day! What's she want with three pairs of shoes? She's only got two feet."
Don't walk away from from this film...run and don't look back... even if Bogart puckers up and gives you a little whistle. ( I heard from Lauren that he does know how to whistle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment