Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Monday, April 6, 2009

Keep Austin Weird

If you missed me, I've spent the last week with Only. I am SOOOO captivated by that grinning, giggly, seven toothed, curly haired, wiggly-walking, toddler. I wanted to take her home with me, but there seemed to be strong resistance on the part of her parents.
When she gets a little older, Partner and I look forward to having Only as a house guest. Of course, I've had her room ready for five years. As One and Two laughed, I would blithely explain that I was just getting prepared in case any babies came to visit. When we received the wonderful news that we were actually going to become grandparents, all I had to do was slide in a crib and changing table.
I think it is very important for Only to spend some time in Midland and absorb some culture beyond the confines of Austin. During a previous visit, I was checking out at Central Market when I found myself in front of a group of teenage lesbians, giggling and kissing. Politely, I averted my eyes and looked to my right. A gray-haired women with a large piece of tree limb was evaluating my grocery choices and asking me if certain items were "good." I couldn't discern why she was standing at the end of the check-out, but I figured if she was carrying that large a piece of lumber, I'd better answer her. In desperation, I looked up to catch the cashier's eye, when I was met with a sea of purple hair and enough facial piercing to set off a metal detector. So, for those of residents of Austin who sport the "Keep Austin Weird" bumper stickers, you can all relax. You have succeeded!

No comments:

Post a Comment