Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Mother of Our Country

Last week, I had the pleasure of listening to Laura Bush speak at a benefit for the Bynum School. Bynum offers educational and vocational training for students with varied disorders. I imagine she has spoken on countless occasions on endless topics, but you could feel her enthusiasm and love for these children.
It reminded me of the dark days following 911, when she addressed the country as First Lady Laura Bush. Her calm in the face of such horrific events was a salve on the wound of a nation. Again, her concern was for our children. She urged parents to discuss the tragedy and reassure their sons and daughters that everything possible would be done to protect them...no politics, no rhetoric, just a simple, rational message of hope.
With apologies to my second-runner-up, Dolly Madison, I have to say that the out-right winner of the title "Mother of our Country" is Laura Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment