Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

No More Snap, Crackle, Flop!

Being the chief cook and bottle washer for a family of seven, my mother kept food prep to a minimum in time and cost. In the summer we ate cold cereal. When the snow began to fall, our mornings started with hot, sticky oatmeal. My personal taste runs to the omelet, French toast, pancake, hash brown, sweet rolls, bacon and biscuit type of breakfast. When I left home to marry, I was hoping that cold cereal would never cross my lips again.
As youngsters, ONE and TWO would occasionally request Rice Krispy treats. (Obviously, they had tasted them at someone else's house.) My few attempts on this sordid little snack resulted in less than stellar results. "Mom, these are not right!" How could a dessert queen such as myself not be able to produce a palatable Krispy treat? Moms who couldn't even bake a brownie mix were making "scrumptious" treats while mine were a total flop.
I have dedicated this month's baking to sweets that I may not necessarily like, but have decided to conquer. I have been assured by those who do consider Krispy treats one of the major food groups, that this recipe is good. So, for all you folks who love to gnaw on cold cereal and marshmallow...have at it.

Start with a 4 quart bowl or you will have a mess!
Melt in microwave for 1 minute:
3 tablespoons butter
Stir in:
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Add:
8 cups mini marshmallows
Microwave about 2 minutes and stir until smooth.
Add:
6 cups Cocoa Krispies
6 ounces mini chocolate chips
Stir until well mixed and place in lightly greased 9x13 inch pan.*


Wash out the 4 quart bowl and begin the second layer.
Melt in microwave for 1 minute:
3 tablespoons butter
Add:
8 cups mini marshmallows
Microwave about 2 minutes and stir until smooth.
Add:
6 cups Rice Krispies
6 ounces butterscotch chips
Stir until well mixed and place on top of chocolate layer. Set aside to cool.

*(I have found that it is easier to mix the ingredients and pat them into the pans if you wear disposable gloves or use clean hands.)

Melt in microwave:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons whipping cream
Stir until smooth and drizzle over the top of the bars. Cut into squares when completely cool and chocolate drizzle is set. You can pop this in the refrigerator to speed up the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment