Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Friday, April 1, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes From a Muffin Mix

As I have lamented before, the Diamond B Ranch is situated in the middle of nowhere. It is thirty minutes to a full grocery store. Consequently, I have learned to be a creative cook. I was craving blueberry pancakes and I had no blueberries, except in my muffin mix. With a little ingenuity, I converted from muffins to pancakes. Ohhh so yummy!
I have a Presto griddle that I bought a WalMart for about $35 and it is a marvel. It is non-stick, easy wash and frees up my limited cooktop space. I always lightly grease the griddle with a little vegetable oil and then preheat it to 350 degrees.
Start with:
One package Duncan Hines Blueberry Muffin Mix with streusel topping.
Drain the blueberries and save the juice. Rinse the blueberries and set aside.
Heat the blueberry juice in the microwave for 20 seconds and mix with:
1 teaspoon Wondra flour
3/4 cup Hungry Jack Syrup
Stir until smooth. Add:
1 tablespoon butter
Microwave 20 seconds. Stir and cook another 20 seconds. I will warn you that it doesn't look that appealing. You can add some red and blue food coloring to deepen the color, but the taste is great.
Combine the dry muffin mix with:
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
Beat until smooth. Smoosh up the streusel packet to break apart the large pieces and sprinkle into the batter. Stir just to incorporate. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the pre-heated griddle. Cook the pancakes for 1 1/2 minutes. Then flip and cook about 1 minute on the other side. Persevere if your first batch doesn't look so good. I don't know why, but they improve after the first set of pancakes. Makes less than 2 dozen.
Serve these with your hot blueberry syrup.
I think these would also be great if you substituted orange juice for the water and added a little orange zest.

(Of course, this is not an photo of my actual pancakes and I was too busy eating them to take a photograph.)

No comments:

Post a Comment