Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Friday, July 8, 2011

Ina Garten and TR Pescod

Do I have to wait until I have seven cookbooks and a TV show before I get to have a little eye-candy in my kitchen?  First of all, Midland, Texas is hardly the zenith of television production.  So, the chances of seeing me on camera are limited to local interviews.  I have published two cookbooks and am working on the third.  That ought to count for something.
It's hard to begrudge Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, her very attractive (and alas, gay) TR Pescod. It is kind of like looking at all the pastry in the bakery window, appreciating it and then walking away.

She is a no nonsense cook with a cheerful attitude and loving husband.  (He reminds me of my father.) I can't believe how much "stuff" is out there complaining about her "elitist" home in the Hamptons.  That's like yelling at folks who have a ski lodge in Aspen or a condo in Florida.  Get over it.  She is fortunate to live where she lives and she appears to appreciate it.
After watching endless cooking shows, it is nice to see someone who is promoting the art of cooking and not selling themselves as  (Rachel Ray) a personality.  We don't have to watch jiggling cleavage (Giada) while she is chopping vegetables.  She uses proper grammar and language fit for the entire family. (Who thought Bitchin' Kitchen was a good idea?) Ina is more forgiving on technique, than say, My Way Martha. As for the male cooks...forget it.  If you really want to learn how to cook minus the all-about-me showmanship, tune into the Barefoot Contessa.
 People complain that the filming of the show is "staged".  Of course it is.  That's why it is a series of television programs with a central theme and not a Utube video. Oh, and don't get me started about her gay friends.  So she's not supposed to use the local florist? Honestly, grow up!!! I guess it's just as well that I'm not a famous chef.  I couldn't stand the life under a microscope and all the second-guessing. PARTNER is used to my cooking. So for now, I'll just have to bask in the glory of dessert praises from my sons-in-law who are equally handsome as TR.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I live in the UK and watching the show is total escapism! Ina and Jeffrey are clearly very much in love and they have a beautiful home and lots of friends! Why do people have to begrudge them (or anyone else) ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason why Ina gets ragged on is because there is a flaw somewhere in her otherwise blissful life and friendships. One know very little about her "life" and she seems to be able to pick and choose when she makes public appearances. Her choice of a LARGE circle of gay men and women makes me think that this is done to keep her Jeffrey from being jealous and possibly having a LARGE circle of young college co-eds. I also thins that her selection of gay men may well be to keep them away from Jeffrey, who at times does display a forced lovey-dovey interaction with Ina. She is keeping her man close and her gay men even closer. There is just something that is not true about Ina and Jeffrey. She seems to be more into Jeffrey than he is to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People will hate, no matter what. I adore Ina & love the display of affection between her & Jeffrey. Watching her show is so pleasing & relaxing. Let them talk about Ina.....just a bunch of rude & jealous peons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I think Ina and Jeffrey are just the cutest couple. A little envious but God Bless them!

      Delete
  4. ina is sincere an entertaining. she is articulate. her friends are nice. t r is handsome. i wonder if he actually knows how to cook. he tries. ina is a shining star on the food network. trisha yearwood is becoming a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I always see so much hatred out there online about Ina? Yes, she's rich, yes, she has a lot of gay man friends, yes, she has a husband who just adores her as much as she adores him and yes, she cooks really simple and really tasty food!! The haters are simply jealous because she's has been blessed in so many ways. I will always watch and enjoy Ina.

    ReplyDelete