Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Is Your Fraternity Selling Your Personal Information?

Oh, K-appa, K-appa, K-appa Gamma,
I am so happy that I am a
K-appa, K-appa, K-appa Gam
And nobody knows...how happy I am.

Until recently, I was pretty happy to be a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, but right now I'm feeling less than blessed by my ties to this organization. Recently I received  a mass marketing mail out from GEICO that was sent under the auspices of KKG.  When I called the fraternity national headquarters about this invasion of my privacy, the explanation I received is that it was a "lucrative partnership to pay for convention expenses."
So my question for Kappa is...Under the KKG privacy policy, it clearly states that "Donor information that is collected by or for the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation, whether provided online, offline, is not sold or traded, and the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation does not solicit donations of send mailings on behalf of other organizations."  So, what makes you think this GEICO mailing was okay?
That's like me saying, "Oh, I ran out of money this month, so I decided to sell all the Kappa rituals to People Magazine."  I mean, you don't just follow your established policy when it is convenient.
I have no problem with Kappa having relationships with other companies.  If they want to provide a link on the website, that's fine.  One has the option to "click" or ignore.  I do take umbrage with my personal information being bartered with an insurance company that can now flood my mailbox with junk mail.
This may sound pretty hokey, but one of the things that attracted me to Kappa in the first place was that they embraced a sense of decorum and personal worth not always exhibited by sororities in the days before hazing was outlawed.  Kappas were expected to act like "ladies," maintain good grades and participate in community affairs. I think that my sorority experience was a good one.  I enjoyed my Kappa contacts in Midland and served as president of the alumni organization.  I also donate on a regular basis to the Foundation. It pains me to find that MY organization now seems to be lacking in the integrity area.  Until I hear that these violations of the privacy code will cease forever, I will not be writing another check to fund Kappa programs.
Bet these Kappa Founders wouldn't be too happy, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment