Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Most Interested Man in Midland

If you've ever attended a seated dinner where you are randomly placed, you know what a miserable evening can ensue.  One time we were placed next to a woman who ran a bird sanctuary. They served Cornish game hens for dinner and she went berserk. Bland and boring conversation is one thing, but a ranting woman is quite another. It was with some trepidation that I approached an assigned seat event a few weeks ago.  As it turned out, I was acquainted two of the other couples, but my dinner partner was a stranger.  Little did I know that I had in fact drawn the Golden Ticket of dining.  Mr. X was a chocolate devotee on a grand scale.
To say that this man had the gift of gab would be short-changing him.  He was the consummate questioner. When I left the Petroleum Club, I was sure he knew more about me than most of my relatives.  I probably would have confessed my age, weight and worst habits if the evening had lasted much longer. I was thoroughly grilled on chocolate and favorite desserts.  I left feeling guilty that I really didn't want to make my own chocolate from scratch. (Do wine aficionados feel compelled to make their own wine?) As a result of constant conversation, my calorie consumption was reduced by two-thirds.  I didn't have time to eat.
This man is wasting his time in the oil industry.  He would be the perfect psychiatrist, lawyer or district attorney.  I was ready to confess to anything! We he spoke in tender terms of his love of chocolate, I was putty in his hands.
So, what did I learn about Mr. X?  Only that he loves chocolate and I think he attended college in California.  I will be stalking him at the next event. In the mean time, I'm keeping his identity a secret.
Mr. X

No comments:

Post a Comment