I am just wondering what it says about your relationship with the plant giver. Let's see...a plant with a sap that causes skin irritation and is difficult to care for.
If your house happens to be humid, light, stays between 65-75 degrees, free from drafts and rambunctious pets or children, you might be able to enjoy your poinsettia. Personally, I think its best use is as a carbon monoxide detector. The plant is very sensitive to this gas. If your plant keels over within a few hours of entering your home, you better call for an HVAC repair.
Another problem is that folks tend to deliver poinsettias when the weather is below freezing. After riding around in a cold car, the plant is suffering from shock before it ever enters your house. Then, somehow, it is your fault if the patient doesn't survive.
Next year, give the world a break and send amaryllis. They are much prettier than poinsettias, easier to care for and last for six weeks.