Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

RE vs ER: Do We Still Hate the French?

A year ago, one couldn't even mention the words "French fry" without causing an eyebrow to lift. What I want to know is, are we still furious over all things French? This is very important to restaurateurs and writers, alike. Are we allowed to use these more colorful phrases such as "filet mignon", or are we stuck with just plain old "steak"?

In my writing, I have been wrestling with "accouterment" vs "accoutrement". They are both perfectly correct, but I have always favored the "re" version over the "er". Is it too French? Will my readers overlook it, or do they even care? In any case, I'm covering all the bases.

Bonnne Nuit and Good Night

No comments:

Post a Comment