Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Monday, May 11, 2009

Why I Don't Have a PhD

I was reading TWO's book and I quickly realized why I don't have a PhD. Spellcheck doesn't even recognize most of these words and Webster's abandoned me on many of them. Someone has polluted our gene pool with intelligence!

eschatological-regarding the ultimate destiny of mankind
syncretic-related to reconciling opposing principles in religion or philosophy
diaspora- spread of a nation's culture
bricolage-use of diverse research methods
hagiography-biography of saints
emic-account of a culture coming from within the culture
etic-account of a culture coming from a neutral observer
protean-readily assuming different shapes or forms
ontology-study relating to the nature of being
parsing-analyzing in a minute way
adumbrates- to outline vaguely, foreshadow
noetics-ones with cognition through direct knowledge
perduring- to remain in existence, endure
seminal context -seeds of one discipline can influence the growth of another
heuristic- helping to learn, self-teaching
semiotics-theory of signs and symbols in language
anachronistic-anything out of its historical time
lacuna-gap, hole, deficit
polemics-the art or practice of disputation
miscegenation-marriage or sexual relations between a man and a woman of different races
schema-outline or plan (Hey, sort of like scheme.)
panegync- panegyric-laudatory discourse
atavistic-resemblance or reversion to remotely ancestral characteristic
vulgate-vernacular


Y'all 'scuse my vulgate, but them big words is makin' my brain hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment