Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Who Killed Nancy Drew?

As part of my research for THE NOVEL in progress, I read three books from the early Nancy Drew series. In the process of re-writing a politically correct Nancy, they've destroyed all her charm.

Where is her little red roadster? Now she shops at the mall. Plump cousin Bess, is just hungry and tomboy cousin George is merely athletic. She wrestles with the misunderstood, but basically good gypsies...excuse me, Rom.

I assume by the later books, she is burning her bra, driving an electric car and composting her own garbage. These days, Mildred Wirt Benson aka Carolyn Keene would not recognize her popular cult figure.

So who killed Nancy Drew? Grosset & Dunlap, Inc., Publishers. Some books are better left as they were originally written.

No comments:

Post a Comment