Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

How To Open A Jar of Classico Spaghetti Sauce

If you've tried Classico sauces, you will know that they are delicious. Unfortunately, getting the jar open is as difficult as wrestling a small child into a wet bathing suit. In desperation, I've even banged the lid with a hammer and resorted to thumping it on the floor. I understand this trouble is pretty universal and that there are some interesting videos on UTUBE of people attempting to release the cap.
I found a sure-fire way to get that lid off...a little gem known as the Progressive 6-in-1 Multi Opener. This tool will open anything! Yesterday, after a brief and successful encounter with the Classico lid, I put together this recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese. My apologies to authentic Italian chefs.
You need a really large pan for this. I used a 10 1/2 in.x13 in. x 2 1/2 in. pan. If you don't own anything that large, divide this into 8x8 inch pans. Enjoy one and freeze the other.
1 large jar Classico Marinara with Plum Tomatoes
1 large jar Classico Tomato, Herb and Spices
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan (not the granular kind in the green shaker)
1 cup milk
Mix and set aside.
8 slices of bacon or 1/4 pound of diced pancetta
Cook and drain. Add to sauce.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork
salt
pepper
Cook meat until done. Drain fat. Add the meat to the sauce and stir.

1 pound thin spaghetti
boiling water
1 tablespoon salt
Bring water to a boil and add salt. Cook pasta for 10 minutes. Drain, but don't rinse. Stir into sauce and place in pan(s). Top with:
12 ounces Mozzarella
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 -60 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Luckily they've redesigned their lid so it can now be opened without a jackhammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have arthritis, so openeing anything can be a problem...but I have one of those "Insta Hot" sigots on my sink...I run the boiling hot water over the lid, causing the metal to expand and the lid comes off very easily!
    If we're out in our RV, no insta hot, I just head up an inch of water on the stove...place the inverted jar...metal lid down into the boiling hot water...count to 20 and the lids now very easy to remove!
    BTW...use a dish towel or dishcloth to prevent burning yourself on the heated metal lid!
    Banging the lids on glass jar can prove dangerous...you never know when shards of glass or glass chips from the hammered metal lid thats snuggled up tightly against glass jar can contaminate your food!
    Glass shards can prove to be deadly!
    I know this as fact, from working in medical field a few years.

    ReplyDelete