Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Feathering My Nest

Every year it is a battle with the doves. They want to build a nest under my pergola and I don't want them to live there. I have plenty of trees and large shrubs available for tenants, but they insist on dwelling right on top of me. We play this game where I remove the nest and they rebuild it. Don't think too harshly of me...sometimes they have it rebuilt by the end of the day. In previous years, I have tried filling the space with bricks. They worked well until one of them narrowly missed beaning me on the head. I still haven't figured out how it came loose. Then I tried Styrofoam blocks. Of course, they were way too light and took flight in the slightest breeze. This year I finally out-foxed the doves. I stuffed the space with air pillow packing material. The doves are gone!
I do have a certain sympathy for the birds, as I too am a nest builder. Turning a house into a home has always been a high priority for me. Right now my nest is in an uproar with a very messy kitchen remodel. I'm already awaiting the culmination of this undertaking with great anticipation. I will keep you posted on the progress. In the meantime, the kitchen is closed for repairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment