Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Monday, July 26, 2010

Author in Search of an Agent

I promised when I started this blog that I wouldn't whine and complain about the life of an author, as done so well on many other blogs. No angst, teeth-gnashing and writer's block would appear in this space. I did not, however, promise not to mourn the demise of the cold-submit to a publisher. Nowadays, they don't want to see anything that hasn't been submitted through an agent.
Obviously, I need an agent. The trouble is, I don't fit the parameters for the modern novelist.
1. I don't own a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes.
2. I am not employer by a of media firm in the northeast.
3. I'm not twenty or even thirty-something.
4. I have never used drugs, gotten drunk or engaged in recreational sex.
Modesty not having any place in this cut-throat occupation, I present my strengths.
1. I know what a library is. I have been inside numerous libraries and I can even pronounce the word correctly... li-brary, not li-berry.
2. I have published two non-fiction books with a third on the way in October.
3. My vocabulary extends beyond four-letter words.
4. I am a super researcher and I have a great imagination.
If the generation Xers can have their chick-lit, then why not a little gray-lit? I am the perfect author demographic for an aging population. So, call me...we'll talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment