Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Just Hit Delete

At a time in my life when I could use a little freed-up brain space, my head is filled with memory-help-rhymes for my school days. Not only are they taking up space, I find it rather ridiculous that a grown woman needs to recite a poem to remember that only April, June, September and November have 30 days. I can't open a jar without mumbling the requisite, "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey". Surely the lid would open even if I didn't say that. Try tying a Girl Scout knot without repeating, "Right over left and left over right". Why do I unconsciously say the lines, "i before e, except after c" every time I write the word receive?
Not frequently called upon to recount the planets, I still can't jar the "My very educated mother just served us nine pizza pies." from my memory. I guess since they demoted Pluto, it should just be, "nine pizzas." No matter. I'll always think "pizza pies".
Am, is are, was, were, be, being, been, have, has, had, do, does, did, can, could, shall, should, will, would, may, might and must. I don't even know what these are...some type of verb? Anyway, they are stuck in my mind and inexorably linked to my 6th grade grammar teacher, Mrs. Nye.
Why can't I just hit "delete" and send this flotsam and jetsam to the recycle bin?

No comments:

Post a Comment