Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Phoenix Cookies


Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, these cookies survived my best attempts to ruin a perfectly good recipe. My first mistake was baking when I was still recovering from my recent illness. My second, was doubling the recipe and mixing the dough while I was distracted by something else. Not wanting to waste 7 cups of flour, I desperately began chucking additional items into the bowl in attempt to convert failure to success. This was further complicated by my desire to use up a jar of raspberry jelly, some toasted almonds and leftover fudgy wudgy sauce.
Being a realist, I know that everyone may not own a copy of Chocolate Rehab, so I will generously include the recipe for fudgy wudgy sauce from the gratuitous cheesecake recipe.
Fudgy Wudgy Sauce
Combine and cook in microwave for one minute:
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Stir until smooth and add:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
I store this in the refrigerator in a squirt bottle. Just give it about 20 seconds in the microwave to make it liquid, again.
Phoenix Cookie
1 cup (four sticks) butter
3 cups confectioners' sugar
Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add:
2 teaspoons almond extract
4 egg yolks
1 egg
Mix and add:
7 cups flour
If the dough gets too soft, you may need to chill it for an hour, but I had no problem forming it. I used a small level cookie scoop to form balls. Roll each dough ball in:
1 cup finely chopped almonds
Then toss in:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Then place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. These cookies do not spread, so you only need to leave a small space between cookies.
Use a 1/4 teaspoon measure to make an indention in the top of each cookie. Fill
each with:
1/4 teaspoon seedless raspberry preserves (total less than 1 cup)
If you're into perfection, center the indentions and don't get too generous with the filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes. This makes at least 10 dozen cookies, but I was too tired to make an accurate count. You can see in the photo, that I baked some of them with fudgy wudgy sauce in the center and some with raspberry. The chocolate ones got a drizzle of raspberry jam heated in the microwave to make it pourable. The raspberry filled got the fudgy drizzle...those were my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment