Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cake Pops


Since I've had allergies for three weeks, am losing an hour of sleep tonight and have company arriving tomorrow, I decided today would be a great day to make cake pops. If you've ever had cake balls, cake pops are just cake balls on a stick.
I used two layers of a homemade chocolate cake I had in the freezer. (From a mix is fine, too.) I broke these layers apart and mixed them in the mixer until they became crumbs. Then I added one can of chocolate frosting (less 1/2 cup) and mixed. The resulting mess will be about the consistency of pie dough or for you novice bakers, about the moistness of sliced and bake cookies. (I have used homemade icing, but the canned stuff works better.)
Roll this dough into 3/4 inch balls. If your dough is too sticky, just put it in the refrigerator for an hour and then make the balls. Place the balls in the freezer for 2 hours. Then insert lollipop stick (yes, it will easily go into frozen balls)and dip in melted Wilton candy melts. I used dark chocolate.
This makes about 72 pops and will use about a package and a half of candy melts. Melt these in a narrow, high-sided container so that you have lots of depth for dipping the pops. I used a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup. It takes about 1 1/2 minutes to melt the candy melts. Then stir until smooth. After dipping each pop, swirl gently while tapping the stick against the side of the container to remove excess chocolate.
I covered some Styrofoam blocks with foil and inserted the pops into the blocks while they hardened. This did not take long. Then I placed them on a cookie sheet and gave them a chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes. I packed them in cookie tins and placed them back in the freezer. Either keep them at room temperature or freeze. They will weep in the refrigerator, but then, so would I.

No comments:

Post a Comment