Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nostalgia Bites: Sequined Calendars

I have recently received two catalogues that offer sequined calendar kits for sale.  You know, the kind of year-long cloth calendar that hangs on the wall and looks worse with each passing month.  I find it amazing that these bits of nostalgia live on.
One can't make notations on them, they don't fit in a briefcase or purse and they are tacky looking.  So, my question is...Who is still buying these things? If you are even familiar with them, it is probably because you saw a similar item in your grandmother's or great-grandmother's kitchen.  Somehow, I can't imagine baby boomers or generation Xers pursuing the pastime of gluing or sewing tiny sequins on pre-printed fabric.
If for some crazy reason this hobby does bring a nostalgic tear to your eye, you'll be happy to learn that the calendars are available for a nominal price at Mary Maxin.  I guess the winters in Port Huron, Michigan can drive one to try many odd diversions.  The selection includes rural scenes, birds and animals, florals, motorcycles and even a sequined-robed Jesus.
If there is anyone you want to gracefully eliminate from your annual holiday gift list, I suggest you assemble one of these calendars. Then make frequent trips to the recipient's house to insure it is being properly displayed.  I bet next year they will suggest the gift exchange comes to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment