Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Visit to the Spa at Joe James Salon

Last fall, PARTNER kindly sent BEST and I to the Lake House Spa in Austin.  We left there less than impressed.  The facilities were immaculately clean, the staff pleasant and the relaxing Blue Room lovely, but it seemed that certainly there must be some facility closer to home and less expensive that could produce similar or better results.  It has been on my list of "to dos" ever since.  I finally made arrangements at Joe James Salon (a mere 8 blocks from my house) and waited for my day-long pampering.
I arrived at 8:45 and they took my lunch order, which came from the adjacent Harvest Cafe.  I opted for a three cheese panini (with potato chips)..a far cry better than my low-cal veggie offerings and fat-free frozen yogurt at the Aster Cafe at LAS. Already this was looking good.
I filled out several forms in the darkened relaxation room and changed into the provided robe and slippers. My first treatments were with Danitza: an hour long Swedish massage, 15 minute steam shower, followed by a European facial.  The list of facial and massage options is extensive and includes the oh-so-wonderful hot rocks. BEST and I had only facials and massages at LHS. This half-day experience in Austin, including the rabbit lunch and use of steam shower and/or pool was a whopping $365 each, gratuities included.
But hey, I'm in Midland now and I've just gotten started! For some reason, I am ravenous and devour my lunch in five minutes. Then on to my relaxing pedicure and manicure with Meg. I opted for the old fashioned polish, but they also do shellac, etc.  It was only my shiny red nails and toes that kept me awake,  but I rallied, as I still had hair and make-up to go. Stephanie scrubbed and massaged my scalp and tamed my hair until it was stick straight.  Joe James gave his nod of approval and off I went to Kasey for the last of my Cinderella make-over. Best of all, I walked out of there relaxed, renewed and it was only three o'clock.
This entire day of wonderment at Joe James tallied around $245 plus gratuities and no travel expenses. Yes, I am planning a return engagement.  They have Hershey's Cocoa Mud Wrap (60 min.@ $75), mini massages (30 minutes @ $45) hand and foot massages and deep tissue, which is great for those trouble areas.  Oh, I am just melting at the thought of Danitza's massage....one of the best I ever had. It would make this entry way too long to list all the salon's services, but they have just about everything from waxing and sugaring to a dozen different types of facial (including services for men) to packages for all occasions, including group celebrations and bridal...even body bronzing for that sun-kissed glow.
I am happy that I was able to prove my theory that one can have a great spa experience without leaving town. (I know, it was a tough job, but someone had to do it.) For those of you who have already booked a stay in Austin, the good news is there is a doughnut shop on the right, shortly after you get back on the highway...before your six hour trip home.
Joe James Salon and Day Spa is located at 2101 W. Wadley #9 . Call 520-9441 or drop by to pick up a booklet with their menu of services.  It is as tempting as chocolate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment