Fashion Plate

If you like Texas Jot, please take a look at my other blog, Fashion Plate. It is the home of my handmade retro Barbie clothes and lots of delicious recipes from my cookbooks.
www.yourfashionplate.blogspot.com

Monday, September 17, 2012

Get Your Mammogram and Determine Your Style Quotient

Every fall, I give a shout-out to all my female readers urging you to get your annual mammogram.  I know it is a boring/painful procedure, but just bite the bullet and get it over with. This year, I had what is termed a "diagnostic mammogram" which consisted of a dozen x-rays followed by an ultra-sound.  The total time for this evaluation was an hour and thirty minutes.
In between x-rays and more x-rays and ultra-sound, I had lots of time to peruse all the latest style magazines.  Amazingly, I have nothing in my closet that even comes close to hip and trendy fashion.  Since my ambition is NOT to dress like Hollywood "stars", I have only clothing which is not see-through, ripped, backless or looking like it came out of a Goodwill store. In other words, I'm a loser when it comes to cutting-edge fashion, but then I don't have to worry that photographers will be chasing me around Midland.
In many ways, this is a blessing because I can get dressed every day knowing that absolutely no one but me gives a hoot what I wear.  I can sleep well at night knowing I won't be seeing my attire and body being judged on the glossy pages of a magazine. I'm certainly glad I passed up a career in the bright lights...or should I say, the career passed up ME.
When Michelle Obama spoke at the DNC, she was sporting gray nail polish.  Now, she has sparked a trend in cadaver-like nail color.  Maybe it wasn't really gray at all.  Maybe she just wasn't getting enough oxygen and her fingernails turned that sickly color.
Ooops...guessed wrong.  I looked it up and it was a purposeful choice of Artistic Nail Design, Vogue.  Now, silver polish I can understand, but lilac-gray looks like something Morticia (The Addams Family)
would select.
How happy I am that I won't be setting trends this year.  Unless, of course, 3/4-sleeve knit shirts and jeans, purses with phone pockets on the outside, gray hair and comfy shoes become the rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment